The recent legalization of CBD products and the increased incorporation of CBD in health products have created lots of questions in the minds of people. These questions range from the identity of the active compounds in the products, how to identify the best CBD products and issues arising from dosage and side effects. In this article, we’ll take a close look at all you need to know concerning CBD products.
WHAT IS CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a chemical found in hemp, cannabis or weed plant (Cannabis sativa). It is the second most abundant compound in the cannabinoids family after tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). There are over 100 different cannabinoids in the Cannabis plant, but the most important members include CBD, THC, Cannabinol (CBN) and cannabigerol (CBG), listed in order of decreasing medical activity . Studies from clinical and field research have revealed that CBD maintains a high level of tolerance in humans and can actively interact with the nervous and endocannabinoid system to elicit some health benefits which have been widely documented and utilized in several CBD products in the market [2,3]. At the time of writing this article, CBD have been used in the treatment and prevention of anxiety, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, chronic pain, inflammation, depression, psychotic symptoms, seizure disorders, neurodegeneration, controlling the signs of aging, symptoms of multiple sclerosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, epilepsy, heavy detoxification and antimicrobial agents, to mention but a few [4-14]. There are still intensified levels of research aimed at exploring the health potential of these phytochemicals and how best they can be utilized for the good of the common man.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT CBD PRODUCT
The market is inundated with different categories of CBD products ranging from CBD oils, CBD powder to CBD incorporated creams which are all geared towards meeting one medical need or the other. As popular as these products may be in the market, there is need to take adequate time to identify the best product since recent discoveries by the NBC and FDA has revealed some dirty secrets which were hiding under CBD products . To serve as a guide, here are some factors to consider while choosing the right CBD product.
1. CONCENTRATION OF THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
The concentration of the active ingredient (CBD) in a product determines the level of effect experienced. Most often than not, this concentration determines how well your body reacts to the product. If you must choose the best CBD product, it is important that you take note of the CBD concentration in the product. The higher the concentration of CBD in the final product, the lesser the required dosage and vice versa.2
2. FDA APPROVED LABEL:
After a series of laboratory tests in over 400 available CBD products in the market, it was discovered that some CBD products offer little to nothing in terms of the promises stated on their labels. To this end, it is highly recommended that you purchase only CBD products with FDA approved label since it can reveal vital information such as concentration, the method of preparation and laboratory screening results on the product.
This involves seeking help from friends, family members, CBD experts, and physicians to assist you with the right choice for your CBD products. Since these individuals may have some levels of information unknown to you, you can easily contact them to give you a helping hand. Don’t take any CBD product unless it has been approved by your physician. This will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Never lose sight of the company’s reputation before purchasing their product. Carry out a simple Google search on the company and read the customer reviews.
4. PURPOSE OF USE:
What do you intend to use the CBD product for? The purpose of usage determines the methods of preparation and the nature of the final products. So far, CBD has been incorporated into health products such as body creams, massage oil, and drugs. Kindly consult your physician or CBD expert for the best product for your ailment.
5. TYPE OF CBD PRESENT IN THE PRODUCT:
CBD products are sub-divided into two main types; full-spectrum CBD oil and broad spectrum isolates. While the former is made from near-pure CBD crystals or isolates, the latter is made by the addition of active compounds to the CBD to boost its activities . Since broad spectrum CBD isolates contain a higher level of CBD concentration and combination with other phytochemicals, they tend to elicit more medicinal purposes.
6. METHOD OF DELIVERY:
CBD products are packaged in different concentrations and delivery methods. While CBD oils are available in dropper bottle form, other CBD products may be available in capsule or powdered form depending on the final intended effect of the products. Make sure you settle for the delivery method you are most comfortable with.
WHICH CBD PRODUCT IS RIGHT FOR ME?
All CBD products are excellent. They elicit a general effect on the body in terms of interacting with their receptors on body cells to bring about their positive impact. As earlier stated, the best CBD product is one that can address your health needs within the shortest time possible. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to choosing the right CBD product but adhering to the simple factors stated above can go a long way in serving as the best guide to choosing the right CBD product.
HOW TO BUY CBD PRODUCTS
You can purchase CBD products from numerous points but it is advisable you ascertain the reputation of the manufacturer and vendor before placing an order. To buy the right CBD product, make sure you take note of the price per concentration of the CBD product, your proposed budget and quality of the product. When it comes to purchasing CBD product or any other health-related product always bear in that; “the cheaper is not always, the better.” Take your time to conduct an adequate level of research on the vendor and company involved before purchase. CBD can be purchased from online or local retail stores as long as you are comfortable with the manufacturer and vendor’s identity.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST CBD DOSAGE
This is one of the most sophisticated aspects of using cannabis products apart from the constant debates on how THC affects the brain and increases the tendency of being high. There is still little, or no information on the generally acceptable dosage for CBD products and this has been a serious challenge for the FDA. The absence of an official dosage for the product predisposes it to high levels of abuse. To determine the best dosage, make sure you take note of your weight, CBD concentration and nature of the condition being treated . Do not also forget to take note of the following steps.
1. Know your mass to body ratio
The higher your body weight, the more the level of CBD required for treatment. For starter dose, you can take 1-6mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of your body weight and level of pain. For instance, a person weighing 200 lb is expected to have a dosage of 20mg-33mg as the case may be. For every 10 pounds of body weight, you are expected to take 1-2mg for mild pains, 3-4mg for moderate pains and 5-6mg for severe pain as indicated by the Honest Marijuana’s Simple Dosage Calculator .
2. Experiment with dosage
This is more or less a trial by error method. After determining your body to mass ratio and identifying your starting dose, you can easily experiment with other doses by slightly altering your dosage level daily. Keep doing this until you experience the best effects on your body. Remember CBD keeps the body relaxed, improves sleep and takes care of chronic pains.
3. Consult with your physician:
Don’t just assume you know what you are doing; always consult your Physician. These individuals know about your health history and are in the best position to offer the best help you can ever as for.
HOW DOES CBD AFFECT THE BODY?
CBD plays an active role in the body by binding to G1 and G2 receptors on the ECS and body cells. After a successful level of interaction with these receptors, CBD plays an active role in boosting the body’s immunity, nerve health and neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals in the body [19-21].
SIDE EFFECTS OF USING CBD
At the time of writing this article, there are no recorded cases of side effect associated with the use of CBD. The use of CBD is safe for all ages as long as the manufacturers adhere to the Standard Operation Procedures of manufacturing and packaging the content.
IS THE USE OF CBD LEGAL?
While the use of CBD products is still termed illegal in some parts of the world due to negative experiences associated with using the whole plant to alter brain functions, there is an increasing level of research aimed at legalizing the use of medical CBD.
Kindly contact us if you have any questions concerning your CBD dosage and choosing the best product for your ailment. Our team of experts will be glad to hear from you and offer the best help. Don’t forget to share this article with friends and family members.
- Corroon, J., & Phillips, J. A. (2018). A Cross-Sectional Study of Cannabidiol Users. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 3(1), 152-161.
- World Health Organization Expert Committee on Drug Dependence. Cannabidiol (CBD) Pre-Review Report Agenda Item 5.2 and Peer Review, 2017
- Di Marzo V, Melck D, Bisogno T, et al. Endocannabinoids: endogenous cannabinoid receptor ligands with neuromodulatory action. Trends Neurosci. 1998;21:521–8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9881850
- Devinsky O, Marsh E, Friedman D, et al. Cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy: an open-label interventional trial. Lancet Neurol. 2016;15:270–278. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26724101
- Devinsky O, Cross JH, Laux L, et al. Trial of cannabidiol for drug-resistant seizures in the Dravet syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:2011–2020. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28538134
- Leweke FM, Piomelli D, Pahlisch F, et al. Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. Transl Psychiatry. 2012;2:e94. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22832859
- McGuire P, Robson P, Cubala WJ, et al. Cannabidiol (CBD) as an adjunctive therapy in schizophrenia: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2018;175:225–231. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29241357
- Zuardi AW, Shirakawa I, Finkelfarb E, et al. Action of cannabidiol on the anxiety and other effects produced by delta 9-THC in normal subjects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1982;76:245–250. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6285406
- Bergamaschi MM, Queiroz RH, Zuardi AW, et al. Safety and side effects of cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent. Curr Drug Saf. 2011;6:237–249. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22129319
- Bergamaschi MM, Queiroz RH, Chagas MH, et al. Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naive social phobia patients. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1219–1226. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307846
- Crippa JA, Derenusson GN, Ferrari TB, et al. Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report. J Psychopharmacol. 2011;25:121–130. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20829306
- de Mello Schier AR, de Oliveira Ribeiro NP, Coutinho DS, et al. Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2014;13:953–960. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24923339
- Hayakawa K, Mishima K, Fujiwara M. Therapeutic potential of non-psychotropic cannabidiol in ischemic stroke. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2010;3:2197–2212. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27713349
- O’Connell BK, Gloss D, Devinsky O. Cannabinoids in treatment-resistant epilepsy: a review. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;70(Pt B):341–348. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28188044
- Shyang Puri (2018). Patients Are Being Duped’: What’s Inside Some CBD Products. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/investigations/Patients-are-Being-Duped-Whats-Inside-Some-CBD-oil-Products-506011161.html. Published February 18 2019, retrieved March 7 2019.
- Cadena, A. (2017). Full Spectrum vs Broad Spectrum vs CBD Isolate: The Difference Explained. https://medium.com/cbd-origin/full-spectrum-vs-broad-spectrum-vs-cbd-isolate-the-difference-explained-a09e415bf235
- Gamble, L. J., Boesch, J. M., Frye, C. W., Schwark, W. S., Mann, S., Wolfe, L., Brown, H., Berthelsen, E. S., … Wakshlag, J. J. (2018). Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs. Frontiers in veterinary science, 5, 165. doi:10.3389/fvets.2018.00165
- Honest Marijuana’s Simple Dosage Calculator. https://honestmarijuana.com/cbd-dosage-calculator/
- Di Marzo V, Bifulco M, De Petrocellis L. The endocannabinoid system and its therapeutic exploitation. Nat Rev Drug Discov. (2004) 3:771–84. 10.1038/nrd1495. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15340387
- Ben-Shabat S, Hanuš LO, Katzavian G, Gallily R. New cannabidiol derivatives: synthesis, binding to cannabinoid receptor, and evaluation of their antiinflammatory activity. J Med Chem. (2006) 49:1113–7. 10.1021/jm050709m. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16451075
Maione S, Piscitelli F, Gatta L, Vita D, De Petrocellis L, Palazzo E, et al. . Non-psychoactive cannabinoids modulate the descending pathway of antinociception in anaesthetized rats through several mechanisms of action. Br J Pharmacol. (2011) 162:584–96. 10.1111/j.1476-5381.2010.01063.x. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20942863